Thursday, May 22, 2008

Goodbye to a Philly Legend, its the end of an era...

When I came to Philly and first walked into those offices at 99 I would have never thought I would be here today. And I wouldnt have thought that Colby Colb would be the reason for the majority of it. He was mean and stand offish when I met him. Not one for small talk and took a while to remember my name. But somehow I got through and became one of the few to breakdown some barriers with Colby Colb. I felt like i accomplished something when he called on me for certain tasks and he even began to teach me things. When he left the "other place" to go to NY and then come back to Philly to the Beat, I said to myself "let me email him and congradulate him on his first Program Director job" well that email (along with Shawn Gee *the Rooots/ Kanye/ Jill Scott) launched "Sunday Morning Soul" and so began my toutalige under Colby Colb. Its funny because I just started to appreciate our complex relationship. A lot of folks know that he and I often disagreed (especially when it came to music). But what you dont know is that those disagreements mosts often times were always productive. I dont know if that makes sense, but its like the Roots for example. Colby and I often dissagreed about their airplay but do you remember who our first Behind the Beats artist was? The Roots! and they were one of the few acts to have more then 1 appearance at Behind the Beats. I really appreciated those small victories. Because I understood my boss was different then others. He actually listened to me (even when he faked like he wasnt) and even when he disagreed I know he at least took the time to listen and I also knew his mind might change. Shoot when I kept complaining about the music he allowed me to start my own "Laiya's Music Moment".

I remember the day when Colby told me, Monie and Pooch that we would be interviewing Jay-Z. And he said to me "so here's your chance Laiya to ask the questions you always wanted to ask, kill it". I guess Im saying all of this because I want him to know that he is appreciated by me and I want yall to know all that he's done in this city. He was my boss, my a*hole older brother, my mentor, my co-worker and my debating arch rivial lol. He was the creative heart that gave this place "the beat". There would be no Behind The Beats, no Laiya on the Beat, shoot no Poochman on the Beat, no Monie on the beat, no Envy on the Beat, no Toshamakia on the beat, no JDS on the the beat, no Mil Matik on the beat, no Izzo on the Beat funny enough not even Karina would have gotten her chance if not for Colby Colb. So i leave yall with this classic piece from me and Colby. One of our classic debates over Jay-Z.




Ill miss you Colby and will never forget what you have done! Now lets go make movies!

4 comments:

flygirrl said...

farewell colby! :) nice tribute to him la !!

HL said...

That's a real nice expression of gratitude, friendship, and recognition. Thank you for sharing that with all of us.

Dphilly1 said...

Laiya...I LOVE the site!!!! Ok, So I was gonna leave a blog on my myspace about this...although it comes with mixed feelings, ANYWAY...I'll leave one here too...First off I will miss Colby Colb as well....I remember listening to him on the "Dream Team" on Power 99 years ago (I think I was about 5 years old)And I always remembered him for being the "sane" one on the show, being someone who was very grounded and he carried a "staying power" about him....a father figure of sorts....all the while being so enthusiastic about his job and most importantly the music he was bringing to the airwaves. I too recall the first meeting and him being a man of few words and very stand offish...I see now that he loved what he did, took it very seriously and strived for greatness.....all the while remaining neutral and careful not to push the envelope to far. In this, his last modest act....he built a lot of what The Beat is today, responsible for immeasurable memories, and has moved on, possibly to start a new legacy....

LUCKYU2NOME said...

THAT WAS A NICE THING YOU DID FOR COLBY AND I KNOW FOR A FACT HE IS GOING TO APPRECIATE YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM AND AKNOWLEDGEMENT. YOU WERE WELL SPOKEN...FROM ONE CAP TO ANOTHER YOU ARE TRUE TO YOUR SIGN CAPRICORN..STAY STRONG LAIYA:)