Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Les Nubians=the bridge between Paris and Philly? Yup! And you can see them Thursday!



So I bet you didnt know that the ladies of Les Nubians became residents of Philly in the height of the "neo soul" explosion as I like to call it lol.  And thanks to PIFA they are coming back!  




     I dont know about you but I fell in love with these 2 French/Cameronian sisters when I first heard them bless a song called "Makeda" in the 90's.....

     It was the effortless beauty of their voice combined with the influences of Fela, Soul II Soul and a little bit of Tricky.  On top of the fact that unlike most, I took French all throughout school (kindegarden-college) and it's always fun to see if I can understand what they're saying since Im now realizing I should have paid more attention in class lol.   So after I heard "Makeda" it was a fantastic surprise to see one of my favorite MC's, Black Thought do a callabo with the girls, and it was a Sade remake!!!!  I think this was his real first acting gig lol!
.


So now that Ive got you all warmed up, make a night of it!  Thursday, April 4th at the Kimmel Center lets welcome the ladies of Les Nubians back to their second home. Viva la PIFA!  Oh and after the show of course its the afterparty or as we like to call it, PIFA Underground, with my homiesistapartnafriend, DJ Afrodjiak!



For bonus Les Nubians video of them singing one of my favorites songs on "The Chris Rock Show", with the help of Philly's on Philly360 ambassador, Carol Riddick, continue on....



this post is proudly supported by PIFA 
follow them on Twitter and Facebook.

2 comments:

Liah said...

I went searching for tix and it said it was sold out. I don't go out a lot, but I would've definitely made a trip for these girls.

Anonymous said...

Yup I remember when they lived here and a few other non-Philly artists at that time. Wanted to check out this show so bad but didn't plan the funds right for the festival as a whole so can't wait until next go round.